Sunday, December 8, 2013

Math Mentor Text Linky Poetry Fun and a Christmas Freebie!



Happy Mentor Text Linky Day!


I hope y'all have had a great week! I'm excited to share this Math Mentor Text with you!



Math for All Seasons is a book by Greg Tang. 
The Amazon.com summary: "Believe it or not, math doesn't have to be a torture device teachers use to punish their students. In fact, with a few simple tricks, math can become--dare we say it?--fun! Greg Tang, creator of the popular The Grapes of Math, bestows his considerable wisdom on a slightly younger audience (ages 5 to 8) with Math for All Seasons. This collection of rhyming math puzzles encourages kids to think through problems, rather than relying on memorization and formulas. Each of illustrator Harry Briggs's computer-generated, color-saturated spreads features seasonal treasures such as clusters of tulips or spikes of icicles. Readers study the verse and picture, strategizing and looking for patterns in order to add up the objects without counting one by one. Soon, their eyes and minds will open to consider many ways of problem solving, not just the obvious ones. Solutions and explanations are provided in the back of the book."


This fun book is adorable! It is filled with seasonal poems that each contain a math riddle. It is geared toward lower grades with addition and subtraction, but I am going to use it with my fourth graders to model some math writing. 



I have really been trying to incorporate more writing into math, so I was so thrilled when I found this book! It lends itself perfectly to creative math writing! 


We are going to create our own math poetry with multiplication and division riddles. I think my students are really going to like it!!!  :)  They will even get to draw illustrations to accompany their poems!

Since the holidays are here, we are going to center our poems around a holiday theme. My students will write out a rough draft first on notebook paper, and then will use the publishing papers below to create their finished product. 


They are in Black and White too!
Click here to get these papers for FREE.  :)

Have a great week!
-Stacia  :)



Please Link Up!

Next week's linky- Science

8 comments:

  1. Great lesson idea! I need to get my first graders writing their own addition and subtraction story problems- it's such an authentic way to have them apply their writing skills!
    Karli :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute lesson! The kiddos will be so motivated to be able to write and illustrate their own math riddles. Definitely going to check out and see if this book is at one of our libraries! Thanks for sharing and always thanks for hosting a great linky!

    Amanda
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. I love Greg Tang's work. I saw you reached a big milestone in the TPT newsletter! Congratulations! You ladies definitely deserve it!

    Amy
    Eclectic Educating

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this great lesson idea and paper freebie. What a fun way to have students show what they know. I know my class will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great idea...I think I have this book on my self. I'm going to have to dig it out. Thanks for sharing how you use it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this Freebie! I have this book in my math book box as part of my math center rotations. Where can I find the cute paper, border, font and clip art Your credits page lists you have them and if they are available, how can I get them!! I have a bit of an additction :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tobi!!

      Thanks so much!! The background papers were ones that I made and are part of the give away you can find by going to this link (everyone wins, so you can get them for free!) http://collaborationcuties.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-wild-christmas-reindeer-mentor-text.html

      The clipart Stacia just made- stayed tuned, she may talk more about them tomorrow!

      The font is one that I made a looooong time ago! I don't have it in our store or anything. If you want it, I can send it to you if you leave your email!

      :O) Amanda

      Delete
  7. What a fun way to incorporate writing in math! And your papers are adorable (as always!). Thanks for sharing and hosting!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!! Like, super love them!! We like to reply by email (so you can see our response and we can chat back and forth) so please make sure that option is turned on in your profile settings or leave your email address here! Thanks again for taking time to comment!! It means a lot!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...