Hey there! We are here for our Friday link ups!!
How did our week look...weeeeeeell....
1) Stacia watched my class while I went to an SST this week and she did the gallon man with them since we are learning about capacity. I had a sub, but, I didn't want to just leave busy work, so Stacia volunteered to take my kiddos and teach them about capacity! Yay!
I love the big G for capacity because it's so visual. The gallon man (or woman) was cute, too, though!
2) Stacia also did a lesson this week involving writing and social studies. We like to play songs that go with our social studies curriculum, and yes they are fun, but she wanted them to realize that the songs were about what we are learning. She had them brainstorm everything they knew about the three branches of the government. Then she played one of the Schoolhouse Rock songs and they could add to their list as it played. They realized that they had learned a lot, but they also realized how much knowledge they could get just listening to the songs. Then she had one of her students take down the notes that they shared on the board.
3) We used protractors this week to measure angles in geometry. Our math coach shared with me a trick on using coffee stirrers and pipe cleaners to help them measure. The students absolutely loved this! They stick the pipe cleaner in the pin hole and then the stirrer in over the pipe cleaner and they can create angles. We made our own angles first by using a dry erase marker on their desks. Then we used them to actually measure on our paper. It was nice because the stirrer was long enough to actually measure the angle even though the line wasn't long enough on the paper!
4) We have something called Vocabulary Day each year. Every student in the building participates. They get a word (or choose a word) that is on-grade-level-vocab. I teach 4th and Stacia and I split up all of the Language Arts terms we could think of. Then we let our students pick from that list. Our teammates did the same for math, science, and social studies. Students create some form of representation for the word with the definition and then we parade around the school. This year we had over 400 guests come to watch. Unfortunately, it was raining so we had to do it inside, which was very chaotic, but we usually do it outside on the track. We always do it the Friday before Spring Break, so I'm sure you can imagine the mood in our school today!!!
5) Our freebie!! I created my very first "clipart" (ok, it's really just paper, but I was excited about it). Then I added our border onto it. So, you have a "cover page" for TpT products or a poster background. I made a poster so you can see it in action! Just click here to get your freebie!!
PS- Our Mentor Text Linky will go live tomorrow morning but you can link up any day!