Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Mentor Sentences Task Cards Freebie and SALE!




Happy Hump Day and Wonderful Wednesday!!! :)  I have some treats for you!

I am beyond excited to finally share with you something I have been working on for awhile!!! Well, you know how much Amanda and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Mentor Sentences....so....I wanted a way that my kids could continue to practice the skills we review during Mentor Sentences.......something that they could do independently or in a small group........something FUN.....but not a lot of prep for the teacher.....SO......I have created Mentor Sentence Task Cards!  :)  I can't wait to try them with my students this year, and I look forward to hearing how they work for you!

Even if you don’t use mentor sentences, you can definitely use these task cards!

First, I created a Freebie pack of Mentor Sentences Task Cards with sentences pulled from the book Enemy Pie. I know a lot of us read this at the beginning of the year, so I thought this would go perfectly with introducing these task cards. (Of course you don't have to read the book to use the task cards though!)


The goal of these cards is for students to identify and analyze GREAT sentence writing. We want our students to see the way that authors craft sentences, and we want them to learn from these mentor authors. We developed these task cards to support the grammar and writing skills we teach through mentor sentences. The task cards are an easy and fun way for students to review skills we've discussed in our lessons. Students identify parts of speech, types of sentences, analyze punctuation, figurative language, and more. The cards are set up in a multiple choice format so they are great for test-prep as well. The skills incorporated are aligned to Common Core Standards in grades 2-5. 

Next, I created 2 more units, but included game boards as well so that my students could review grammar skills in mentor sentences while playing a game! And, these units are on SALE TODAY through FRIDAY

The first unit is focused on Nouns and Verbs


The second unit is focused on Nouns, Verbs, and Adjectives


There are different ways to use these cards:
-These cards can be placed at a center for students to use as they review. Or, they are a great “Early Finisher” independent activity that students can do. Place the cards and recording sheet in a large plastic bag or envelope, and students can bring it right to their desks.
-You can use these task cards as part of a Scoot Game. In this game, each student “scoots” around the room with their recording sheet as they answer the questions on each card. It’s an easy way to add in a little movement when our kids start to get squirmy!
-Our favorite way to use these cards is as a partner game for review. Two game boards (one color and one black and white) with directions are included.  It’s a great way for students to review what they have learned, and they are having fun playing a game at the same time!

I am working on MANY MORE units right now so if you like them, please be on the lookout for them...some will be focused around grammar skills and others will be thematic....for example, sentences all centered around the water cycle or animal adaptations or the American Revolution, etc....

Also, I am linking up a FREEBIE with The Teaching Tribune for her Worksheet Wednesday! 
This is a page from one of our Best Selling Units: Enemy Pie. I figured this would be perfect to link up today because this Enemy Pie sheet goes right along with the Free Enemy Pie Mentor Sentence Task Cards! Yay! :) 



Please check out all the amazing free worksheets linked up! :) 

I hope these can be useful for you and your students! If you download the freebie, please leave feedback to let me know what you think! Thank you and have a great day!  :)


7 comments:

  1. I love to read Enemy Pie at the beginning of the year! Great freebie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your task cards are a great way to practice grammar skills in a fun way. I can't wait to see more.
    The Traveling Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to have students practice independently what you have been teaching! I'm super excited to check them out. Thanks :)
    Ana
    Mrs. Bentin's Blackboard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the free printable! My kids love Enemy Pie every year...

    Smiles,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited about all these great Enemy Pie-related resources since that's a book I read every year to my kiddos! Love love love! Thank you SO much!

    -Caitlyn
    Fourth Grade Lemonade

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love Enemy Pie and can't wait to use these with my kids. Thanks for sharing!!

    Don't Let The Teacher Stay Up Late

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I got the idea to read Enemy Pie from one of your posts last year. LOVED it! Completely unexpected ending. The kids are going to get a kick out of this freebie. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!! Like, super love them!! We like to reply by email (so you can see our response and we can chat back and forth) so please make sure that option is turned on in your profile settings or leave your email address here! Thanks again for taking time to comment!! It means a lot!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...