Sunday, December 2, 2012

Gingerbread Fun!

I can't believe the weekend is almost over...it always seems to fly by especially during the holiday season...so much to do and not enough time...

I LOVE gingerbread cookies and gingerbread houses! I also LOVE the gingerbread stories! I remember when I was in school, we always heard the story of the gingerbread man. We all knew how it went, he ran and ran and no one could catch him until he met a clever fox or wolf. Then chomp! But when I started teaching, I discovered a whole world of adorable gingerbread stories. The students love them because they are able to make predictions about what will happen and usually they are surprised because each version is different. I always do lots of compare and contrast activities. 

I can't wait to start my gingerbread unit this week! I will read some of my favorites- The Gingerbread Baby and Gingerbread Friends both by Jan Brett. 

Gingerbread Baby
Source
Gingerbread Friends
Source

Here is a link to my unit I created- 
Click Here

After we work through our unit, I give each student a gingerbread cookie to decorate. I ask for parent volunteers to send in frosting, sprinkles, candies, etc. It's always a lot of fun! 

I also found a cute idea on Craft Elf!

magnetic gingerbread notepad
Source
This gingerbread notepad is so cute! It would be a great parent gift!
Or, you could have students use at a center- they could solve math facts on the notes, create spelling words while playing Boggle, or find different parts of speech in a book they are reading. The ideas are endless! 

Have a great Monday! 


1 comment:

  1. We love the Jan Brett books and who could resist a whole unit on gingerbread. I'll have to remember it for next year.

    Do you use iPads in your class? Speed! is a skip-counting card game created to help kids learn multiplication. It is available both as physical cards and now on the iPad. I created the game to help my daughter learn multiplication and it worked great. My husband is a computer engineer and created the iPad version. We hope you can find some use for it in your classroom.

    Julie
    http://highhillhomeschool.blogspot.com/p/highhill-educational-supplies.html
    http://highhillhomeschool.blogspot.com/2013/01/speed-is-in-ipad-app-store.html

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!! Like, super love them!! We like to reply by email (so you can see our response and we can chat back and forth) so please make sure that option is turned on in your profile settings or leave your email address here! Thanks again for taking time to comment!! It means a lot!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...