Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Phases of the Moon Observation Book

Children are fascinated with space.  It's one of those subjects that I love teaching about because they really get into it.  One of the subjects we talk about is the phases of the moon.  We can't send students to Mars or Mercury but something they see most every night, the moon, is something we can definitely explore together.  I want to make sure that they actually observe the phases while we are talking about it in our science lessons.  My hopes are that they can make a real life connection and better understand what they are learning about.

This year I decided that I wanted them to try to go outside as many times as they could, observe the moon, draw it, and write the phase.  We can't grade homework, but I offered them an E in effort if they would complete as many pictures as they could over a 3 week period.  

Here is the book that I gave them to complete:




Click on the link below to download this for free.



I put the cover page on the front and then printed as many copies as I needed for the second page.

Another idea is just to print out a calendar for the month you are in and have them draw it on that calendar.  My cutesy gets in the way, though, so that's why I made a cutesy book.  I don't think it really matters what they log it on, as long as they are making observations and connections!!

One other thing I wanted to share with you is a Phases of the Moon song that my students love.  I am linking it below.  Talk about a song that gets stuck in your head!  But that's what we want for the students!!  It needs to get stuck in their head so they'll remember the order!!




Also, check out our Moon Pack in our Teachers Pay Teachers store.  It has everything you need to teach about the moon.  It's a science and language arts integrated pack using The Moon Book by Gail Gibbons.  I've linked it here.  Check it out!



The first 10 people who follow our blog will get this Moon Pack for free!!  Just type your email into the box at the top left of this page and then comment below and make sure you put your email address in the comment so we can send you your free Moon Pack!!

Enjoy!!
*Amanda*

7 comments:

  1. love this one...and I'm your new follower! I absolutely fell in love with all the things in your TpT store. I have MANY items of yours in my cart...can't wait :)

    Stephanie Ann
    Sparkling in Third Grade
    s.ann.k1971@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a new follower and am in the midst of my Solar System Unit now. Your unit looks amazing. Looking forward to using it.

    taskcard123@yahoo.com

    Yearn to Learn Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you for following us! Did you see our giveaway for the weekend? Which freebie did you want? The Moon Book pack? Since you commented on our blog you may choose anything from our TPT store $5 and under for free. Just let me know if you still want the Moon Book pack or if you would like something else and I'll email it straight away! :O)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing! This is a great idea to use for our phases of the moon unit coming up in the spring. My 4th graders will love it!

      Kim Spiegel
      kspiegel@nps.k12.va.us

      Delete
    3. Is the Moon Pack the freebie you would like?

      Delete
  3. You have an awesome site. I'm a new follower thanks to Lindsay @ My Life as a Third Grade Teacher. I love your Moon Unit. My 4th graders will start on Earth Systems after the break. It will be a great resource!!

    Clarice
    clarice.edwards@att.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for following us! We have emailed you! I hope it works out! We also have a Solar System Graphic Organizer book in our TpT store if you have a chance to check it out!

      Delete

We love comments!! Like, super love them!! We like to reply by email (so you can see our response and we can chat back and forth) so please make sure that option is turned on in your profile settings or leave your email address here! Thanks again for taking time to comment!! It means a lot!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...