Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Liebster Nomination

We have been nominated by 2 bloggers for the Liebster Award.  From what I have read it sounds like a pay it forward, warm fuzzy for new bloggers or blogs with under 200 followers.  We are happy to accept and nominate a few other bloggers and extend the love!  The rules say to nominate 11 new bloggers, but I'm not sure if we can find that many (I wish there was a way to search new teaching blogs, because those bloggers need some love, but I'm not sure how to do that).  

First, we have to give 11 random facts about ourselves.  Then, each nominator has given us 11 questions to answer about ourselves.  A= Amanda's answers and S=Stacia's answers.  :O)

Random Facts:
Amanda- 
1.  I am NOT a morning person.  Especially before coffee.  
2.  I am a "tad" OCD  (I can hear Stacia laughing), but not about everything.  Just certain things- like I won't use something I really, really like because I don't want to mess it up.  But then I don't get the joy of using it.  I know- ridiculous.
3. I love to make crafts.  Especially personal gifts.
4.  I can sew- but please don't tell anyone because the first request I get is hemming and buttons and that's not my idea of "fun" sewing.
5.  I live vicariously through my daughter- cute clothes, stuffed animals, American Girl dolls- sometimes I think I like them more than she does.  But I like getting them for her (no- she's not spoiled- just loved).
5.  I'm a very picky eater.  So annoying.
6.  I'm shy.  I hate walking into a room where I don't know anyone.  Lots of anxiety.
7.  I love to read.  And I'm not just talking about children's books.  Like, the Hunger Games- loved that series.
8.  I have a horrible short term memory.  Every time I was pregnant, it got worse.  Three kids later- things go in my brain and then leak right out.  I need medicine for it.  Seriously.
9.  I like to exercise.  I just don't have time to.
10.  I love shoes.  And purses.  My closet is full of them.  My hubby has lots of jokes about them.  I don't find them funny.  ;O)
11.  The best therapy for me when I'm stressed is shopping (of course!).

Stacia-
1. I love animals- especially little ones! I have a guinea pig and I used to have hamsters, rabbits, dogs, fish, turtles... :)
2. Being on time is not my thing (as Amanda knows)- I run late for EVERYTHING! 
3. I love exploring new places- I wish I could go on more vacations...if only I had the money  :)
4. I am short and I look young so I often get asked by parents- "Is this your first year teaching?" or "You look like one of the kids"- lovely...  :)
5. I LOVE TO SHOP- not the best plan when you are trying to save money ;)
6. Post-it notes are one of my best friends- they are all over my desk!
7. I'm obsessed with clip art! So fun!
8. I am a huge Atlanta Braves baseball fan- been watching with my dad since I was 6 :)
9. I love to scrapbook but never seem to finish once I start...
10. I am quiet and shy until I get to know people :)
11. Spending time with family is so important to me- I am blessed to have such a supportive and amazing family

Hopefully this will help you get to know us better.  :O)

Here are the questions from Katie at Teacher to the Core:
1.       What’s your current grade level? Why do you love it, and what do you dislike about it?
A-  I currently teach 4th.  I love the social studies curriculum and the cleverness of the kids.  I dislike the attitude that starts to come along from the kids towards the end of the year and how much we are accountable for teaching them and what they are accountable for learning.  It's too much.
S- I teach 4th grade right now. I love the age of the kids- they are old enough to really understand what they are learning, but still very sweet. Although after Christmas, they start to get some little attitudes... :)  I would have to say that I dislike all of the testing we have to do. The kids are constantly testing and I feel like it is a huge stress to students and teachers. 
2.       What’s your favorite coffee drink or drink of choice? If you mention an “adult beverage” tell us how to make it. People are going to want to know.
A-  I love the Skinny Peppermint Mocha from Starbucks (well, the regular one tastes better but it makes me feel better to call my drink skinny- maybe it'll transfer to me!)
S- I am not a coffee drinker- I love my Passion Tea Lemonade from Starbucks or my herbal Teavana teas!
3.       What’s the best gift you have ever been given?
A-  Yikes.  That's hard.  The one that sticks out is the Pandora bracelet my husband got me.  It was a totally thoughtful gift from him that I had not hinted about our even had a clue he even knew what one was.  He gave it to me for Christmas about 3 years ago with my kids' birthstones and some charms from our life together.  It means a lot to me.  (bless him- he struggles with getting me gifts)
S- I don't think I can pick just one- I would say all the sweet gifts from my husband- he is really wonderful at listening to me and then picking out something he knows I need- like I just got a massage gift card- definitely needed :)
4.       Who inspires you?
A-  My dad.  He is an avid reader and a true life-long learner.  If I ever have a question I go to him.  He is humble and kind and I want to be just like him when I grow up.
S- My family inspires me- they are all so supportive, kind and welcoming to everyone- I am truly blessed :)
5.       What is your classroom pet peeve?
A-  talking while others are talking- and I don't just mean when I'm teaching (but that is annoying).  The little whispering while others are sharing, etc.
S- My pet peeve is kids making little noises- it's so distracting- and my other pet peeve is when kids start talking and whispering when other kids are trying to work or test
6.       Best and worst part of teaching?
A- best- knowing that I am making a difference.  worst- paperwork 
S- best is sharing what I know with my kids and like Amanda said knowing that I am making a difference-  worst is all the testing
7.       Who do you love? Who are your people?
A-  My family, Stacia, Jessica, my Memphis "family"
S- My family, Amanda (don't know what I would do without her) and other close friends 
8.       Do you think snarky things or actually say them out loud?
A-  I think them.  I don't say it in words but you can probably see it on my face.
S- My face may say it :(
9.       What profession other than your own would you like to try?
A-  Children's book author
S- something with technology and teaching- maybe work for a children's software company or design interactive lessons for a children's publishing company- I would also love to write children's books
10.   Apple or PC
A-  I have a PC computer but I have an iPhone and iPad.  When I taught in Memphis we used Apple and I really liked it.  But, GA is all about PC.
S- PC
11.   If you won 3 million dollars how would you spend all of it leaving yourself only $100,000 in savings.
A-
Save- $100,000
Tithe- $300,000
Pay off my house- $210,000
Pay of my mother in law's house, my parent's house, and my brother in law's house- $550,000
Buy my brother a house- $200,000
College fund for all of my kids and my neice's and nephews-$700,000
Pay off college loans- $50,000
St. Jude's Children's Hospital- $150,000
Set up charity to give children's books away- $100,000
Backpack and school supply for annual giveaway for beginning of year- $100,000
$1,000 for each teacher at my school for supplies- $38,000
Technology training for teachers at my school- $2,000
More books for our bookroom- $50,000
More books for media center- $50,000
Money for technology at my school- $100,000
Atlanta Children's Shelter- $100,000
Atlanta Mission- $100,000
American Cancer Society- $100,000
S- Wow! I don't think I can break it all down- I would really have to pray about that decision and let God guide me- I know that I would like to buy a house for me and my husband and save money for our future children- I would say that a good chunk of the money would be used to help those that need it- I know so many people that are struggling, and if I had the opportunity to help them financially I would love to. So the bulk of the money would go to family and friends who need it. Then I would love to donate money to schools to use for supplies, technology, etc. What an incredible gift that would be!


Here are the questions from Olwyn at Teaching in Turtlepond:

1) How long have you been teaching? 
A- This is my 13th year.
S- This is my 6th year.
2) How do you spend your spare time? 
A-  spare time?  What's that?  ;O)  With my kids!!
S- sleeping  :) and relaxing with family and friends
3) Iphone or Blackberry? 
A-  iPhone
S- Droid
4) Books or TV? 
A-  books
S- TV
5) What is your favourite holiday? 
A-  Christmas- I love seeing the joy on everyone's faces, especially my kids.
S- Christmas- love all my family traditions and time we spend together
6) Have you traveled anywhere? 
A-  not really.  We went to Aruba on our honeymoon.  That's the only place "far" I've been.
S- to Norway- beautiful!
7) Are you finished all of your holiday shopping? 
A-  oops.  Yes, since it's after the holidays.  But I was shopping up until the last minute.
S- finally!
8) What is your favourite drink at Starbucks (or your local coffee spot)?
A-  Starbucks- Skinny Peppermint Mocha
S- Starbucks- Iced Passion Tea Lemonade
9) Do you have any pets? 
A-  2 dogs
S- 1 baby guinea pig
10) If you were not a teacher, what would you do instead? 
A-  Writing children's book is my dream but I'd have to have a job so  anything but retail or food industry.  I can't imagine doing anything else.
S- I don't know- probably a counselor- but I really would want to work with a children's company writing books or doing something with technology
11) How long have you been blogging?
A-  2 months
S- 2 months


Our Nominees:

Stephanie Ann from Sparkling in Third Grade
Susan at First Grade Friendly Froggies
Bren at The Teacher Diaries
Colleen at Fun and Fearless in First

We will continue to nominate since we can't seem to find 11!

Nominees need to: post about this nomination, link back to this post, list 11 random facts, answer these 11 questions from us, and nominate 11 bloggers under 200 followers (or as many as you can).

Our questions to the nominees:
1.  Sweet or salty (personality and favorite snack)?
2.  Why did you start blogging?
3.  What's your favorite classroom "tool"?
4.  What's your favorite children's book and why?
5.  What's one of your pet peeves?
6.  What's your biggest strength?  Weakness?
7.  What's your favorite subject to teach?
8.  How many teachers are on your grade level? Tips for collaborating?
9. Cook or eat out?
10.  What is your favorite vacation spot?
11. What three words describe your teaching style?



Wow.  That was a long post.  If you hung in there and read all of it, you are AH-mazing!!  Let us know what you think!!

5 comments:

  1. You guys are wonderful! I love the answers to your questions! I hope you had the most Merry of all Christmases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are wonderful for nominating us and for reading all of that!! :O)

      Hugs!

      Delete
  2. So glad you found me! And thanks so much for nominating me for a Liebster! I was nominated last month and it is a long blog post but so much fun to do. Happy to be your newest follower :-)
    Colleen
    Fun and Fearless in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww! I am just now getting a chance to read and follow! Amanda, I love that I'm one of your people. Sorry I'm a slacker and just now getting to your blog!!!! I need one now too!! LOL

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!! Like, super love them!! We like to reply by email (so you can see our response and we can chat back and forth) so please make sure that option is turned on in your profile settings or leave your email address here! Thanks again for taking time to comment!! It means a lot!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...