Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Prime and Composite Numbers Game


So, we've started implementing the Common Core Curriculum this year and sometimes I feel like I have no idea what I am teaching (anybody else feel that way?) In my head, I'm going, "what is that again?" Well I had one of those moments last week as I was planning my math lesson on prime and composite numbers. Gosh, I hadn't really thought about those terms since high school. And they aren't in the students' math textbooks...so...I did a little research online and then I jumped into the concept with my students. 

They've really done a great job with this skill, and I'm impressed how quickly they have picked it up. I try to do some type of game with my students for each math skill or topic we cover so that they can practice the skill in a fun way. That also gives me a chance to work in small groups or one on one with students that may need extra help. So, I created a Factors Composite Number Game to help students review factors and create composite numbers.
How to play: Students work in pairs. Each student needs a recording sheet and a pencil, and each pair needs a set of playing cards. Students take turns picking two cards each round. They record their two cards on their recording sheet, and then they create a number using the cards. Students can put the cards together to create a number, add the cards, subtract the cards, multiply the cards, or divide the cards. For example, if I picked a 7 and a 9, I could make the number 79, 97, 16, 2, or 63. Then, once the students have created their numbers, they list all the factors for that number. Whoever has the most factors, wins! Whichever student wins the most rounds, wins the game! 

I like this game because students have to really think about the factors of each number. They have to form composite numbers that have many factors. 

I have included the game recording sheet and also a worksheet to assess this skill. I hope these are useful for you and your students! Please let me know if you have any other fun ways to teach factors, prime and composite numbers or any math games you want to share. 

Speaking of sharing, I want to give a shout out to our good friend, Jessica, over at Ideas by Jivey! She has just entered the blogging world, and we are so excited for her! Please stop by her blog and say hi. :) And she's offering a giveaway!!!

Have a great day! 2 more days till the weekend! Yay!

-Stacia  :)

17 comments:

  1. These look great. Just pinned so I can remember to use it when I begin fractions. Thank you.:)

    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dating for everyone is here: ❤❤❤ Link 1 ❤❤❤


      Direct sexchat: ❤❤❤ Link 2 ❤❤❤

      1z ..

      Delete
  2. This is great! I just printed a copy for my file. (We've already covered factors this year.) Thanks so much! :) Lattes and Laughter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! We are always behind! I've covered it once too, but they needed a refresher! Thanks Julia!! :O)

      Delete
  3. Great idea. I need to review this too - some of my little ones don't seem to get factors at all :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn! I think it's something we'll just have to keep reviewing all year! A game is a great way to do that, I think! :O)

      Delete
  4. Common Core has made me feel the same! I {heart} the factor game! We have already covered it but will be a great game to use for review.

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Thank you so much...can't wait to use them next week!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will always let you and your words become part of my day because you never know how much you make my day happier and more complete. There are even times when I feel so down but I will feel better right after checking your blogs. You have made me feel so good about myself gadget shop spot all the time and please gadget shop spot know that I do appreciate everything that you have

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are lots of avid gamers who desire to get ample wow classic tbc gold without performing any activity in the game. To acquire tbc gold, online players can apply the MMOGAH, plus it assists them to receive gold without performing any pursuit. When you take a look at this unique tbc gold purchase site, you can gain more and more information regarding wow classic tbc gold.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The final fantasy XIV game is liked by many gaming followers, and they can implement a stable site called MMOGAH to acquire the ffxiv gil in the game. Much better is to click this link ffxiv gil or take a look at our official website to learn more related to ffxiv gil.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is suggested that the MMOGAH website should be the initial pick of those who need ffxiv gil at a reasonable price simply because people acquire cheap ffxiv gil securely on this unique platform. Online gaming buffs also receive a reimbursement guarantee when they receive ffxiv gil from this specific platform. By using this excellent site, an individual can receive more information about ffxiv gil.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dating for everyone is here: ❤❤❤ Link 1 ❤❤❤


    Direct sexchat: ❤❤❤ Link 2 ❤❤❤

    1J .

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!! Like, super love them!! We like to reply by email (so you can see our response and we can chat back and forth) so please make sure that option is turned on in your profile settings or leave your email address here! Thanks again for taking time to comment!! It means a lot!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...