Sunday, May 26, 2013

Social Studies Mentor Text- Elizabeth Cady Stanton {linky}




Happy Memorial Day weekend!

I'm here with a quick post about a book we have used in social studies for the Women's Rights Movement!


In our fourth grade curriculum we teach about the Women's Rights Movement and Elizabeth Cady Stanton is one of the ladies that we teach about.

Here is the synopsis that Amazon gives (which I know I'm being lazy by copying and pasting, but it's stated better than I'd probably state it!)

"Elizabeth Cady Stanton stood up and fought for what she believed in. From an early age, she knew that women were not given rights equal to men. But rather than accept her lesser status, Elizabeth went to college and later gathered other like-minded women to challenge the right to vote.  Here is the inspiring story of an extraordinary woman who changed America forever because she wouldn't take “no” for an answer."

We read this book this year and it really engages the students in some deep thinking and it's great for questions!

This book hooks them in right away!  Check this out!



The very first sentence says, "What would you do if someone told you you can't be what you want to be because you are a girl?"

We stop right there and right our responses.  And for the boys, they write it thinking the same question but what would you do if someone told you you can't be what you want to be because you are a boy?  I tell them to really think deep.  And then we keep reading.

I love these two pages because the woman comes to see Elizabeth's new baby sister and says, "What a pity it is that she's a girl!"

Can you imagine?  Who would say that?  How awful that this is what they thought when they had girls!  Right?!?  More discussion...why could this be?

And then, a lady's husband dies and she gets nothing of the estate!!  What?????

Elizabeth gets really mad!  I love that she uses the word preposterous!  There is great vocabulary in this book to discuss with the students!!  It also helps them put themselves in the time period.  The illustrations are great, too, because there she is, riding side-saddle.  We discuss how different things were back then!  How many of you would wear a dress while riding a horse?  Or rafting down a river?

And the book just keeps going on.  It's a biography and continues through Elizabeth's journey to never give up!  She knew women could do anything a man could do, and she made sure everyone else knew it, too!

This is a great, inspirational, book that teaches perseverance and tolerance!  Even if you don't teach Women's Rights, this would still be a great book for questioning and response!

Now, it's your turn!




(If you have never linked up before you can check HERE for more information.)

Have a great weekend!
Amanda

We are wondering what you would like us to do about this linky for the summer.  Everyone (readers and bloggers) please vote!  We are happy to continue with the linky or put it on hold!


For the Linky- Please make yourself a SANDWICH!  Please comment on the person who linked up before you and the person that linked up after you.  I know everyone puts in a lot of time and effort to these posts and I want everyone to feel the love!!!  (Haha, see, you're a sandwich...you know...because you are in the middle of the comments...do you get it?)  ;O)

Depending on the results of the survey, next week's topic- Language Arts

15 comments:

  1. I love this book. I actually don't use it for social studies (because we don't cover women's rights,) but during writing class when I am teaching my kids how to write strong informational leads.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great book - I don't teach about the Women's Right Movement but can think of so many ways to use this book in my class, especially in February when we focus on people who helped change the world or during persuasive writing as a real life example and to generate their thoughts or even when we focus on fairness.......

    Thanks for hosting, I didn't vote yet, still thinking (will wait till the coffee kicks in)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about it (and shopped, watched a movie, did some work) and then voted. I would like it to keep going - I would be really interested in getting some new book ideas for launching reading and writing (and even math) workshop for next year. I know it is a lot of work for you in the summer - what if it was every other week??? Really I am happy with whatever works best for the two of you....and me ;)

      Delete
  3. As you'll see on my post, I need lots of books on my list. This will be the first one of the day! Women's Rights fits right into what I am going to be teaching next year. Thanks!
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this linky party. I look forward to it every week. Perhaps because I am bookaholic.

    Kristin
    Teachntex

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited to link up today! :) I also love this linky and voted to keep it going through the summer!
    What a great book recommendation- I'll be checking it out. Books about fairness and equality are always great for engaging students!
    Thanks for hosting!
    Karli
    Creating a Thoughtful Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book looks great! I teach the Women's Rights Movement too so this would be PERFECT! Thanks!
    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did reply to keep the linky going, but if most choose not to, another option might be to have an open linky for teacher texts related to this topic...I know I have some books specifically on mentor texts and others that list books that are related to the six traits, etc.

    Jessica
    Literacy Spark

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loooove this book. I first heard it at a summer conference from Jeff Anderson and was so glad! It is totally great for all the things you listed. :)
    Also, I agree with Jessica- I said not weekly on the linky but I'd love an open one for each subject so that maybe we could just link up anytime...? I dunno. Just a thought. :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another book to add to my list! I love any book that can spark a great discussion!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this book! Stanton is not a woman we always focus on. I will be adding to my wish list for sure!
    Gina
    Beach Sand and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haven't heard of this book and don't actually know a whole lot about Stanton. I guess I need to check this book out!

    Don't Let the Teacher Stay Up Late

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE this linky! I just started a Pinterest board for all of the ideas.
    http://pinterest.com/tbsrwilson/must-read-mentor-texts/
    Teresa
    Confessions of a Teaching Junkie

    ReplyDelete
  13. DITTO on Confessions' comment! I love this linky! Using trade books is one of my favorite ways to connect my students to material. I just read the post before me (and I'll read the rest, for sure). The message in Those Shoes is a necessary one to talk about with students. I'm looking forward to reading the book.

    Kristen
    Aspire to Inspire

    ReplyDelete
  14. Surely there is lot to be made with regards to the ideas cited above and there is also need to cite about every possible fact disclosed here. physician assistant course requirements

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!! Like, super love them!! We like to reply by email (so you can see our response and we can chat back and forth) so please make sure that option is turned on in your profile settings or leave your email address here! Thanks again for taking time to comment!! It means a lot!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...